Bassetts Mead Country Park
- Free car parking, with no height restrictions
- Meadows and small copse beside the River Whitewater
- 1.8km circular walk with an option to cross the A30 and visit neighbouring Whitewater Meadows
Where you’ll find it…
There are three free car parks for Bassetts Mead near Hook, nearest postcode RG27 9UW.
- Kingfisher Car Park is a large layby at the top of Holt Lane at grid reference SU 73695 54783. What3Words: stencil.streak.proclaims.
- Reed Warbler Car Park is just off Doctor’s Acre at grid reference SU 73586 54558. What3Words: anchorman.bounding.offerings.
- There’s also space for two cars at Woodpecker Car Park, off Athoke Croft at SU 73721 54371. What3Words: attic.stars.cuddling.
N.B. We’ve given the nearest postcode, but recommend using the links to look up the exact locations. The centre of a postcode may be up to half a mile from your destination.
What you’ll find there…
Our favourite places tend to be those with a sense of discovery. Bassetts Mead may be small, but it definitely delivers. The path along the river bank, outside the fence, is a prime location, especially on a hot day when dragonflies are on patrol. Explore also the meadows, ponds and copse, where excellent information boards tell you all about the river and the flora and fauna of this lovely little place.
Dog walkers may find it useful to know that Hampshire and Isle of Wight Wildlife Trust graze the meadow with cattle.
If you’d like to explore further, you can cross the busy A30 at the Crooked Billet pub and visit Whitewater Meadows. This route shows the walk starting at Whitewater Meadows but can easily be adapted:See route…
This ‘Greenspace on your doorstep’ is managed by…
Owned by Hart District Council and looked after by the Hampshire & Isle of Wight Wildlife Trust (North Hampshire office)